Tuesday, April 29, 2008

In My Life

All these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
...In my life, I've loved you more -The Beatles

We're doing CST (California Standardized Testing) now, so we go to our third period class at the start of the day and have three other classes for the remainder (instead of the regular six). We had to do the World History part today, and the sample question had something to do with Russia; I can't remember what exactly. I chose C as my answer: Vladimir Lenin (instead of A: Some random Asian guy whose name I can't remember, B: Martin Luther, or D: Someone else whose name I can't recall). I was correct. Then our French teacher (third period is French, so we basically spend two hours with her every morning for this week) calls out that the correct answer is C. Then she asks us, "Did you know his first name was Vladimir? Who knew his first name was Vladimir? Raise your hands!" So about seven to eight people raised their hands, including myself. Then my friend (he's a strange boy) calls out, "Yeah, I thought it was John." The little group of my friends burst out in uncontrollable laughter, while the rest of the class stared at us. I don't think they put it together: John Lenin. :) Yeah, French is pretty great.


Ah yes, John Lenon reminds me of something else. On Friday, I hung out with my friend's youth group. That was the second time (first time was the Friday before), and this Friday will probably be the third. We watched Expelled, and I thought it was really good. They mentioned John Lenon's "Imagine" in it, and how he refers to "no religion, too".


Updated at 9:08 PM to include:

CHAMBER AUDITIONS ARE OFFICIALLY OVER. We just had Part 2 tonight. The first part was to check out your range and singing abilities; the second part was to see how well you could carry your part in a quintet. I'm not in choir, so I kind of stood near the side waiting for someone to need a second soprano. Finally someone yelled out "SECOND SOPRANO?" and I walked in that direction. I joined their group, and we performed pretty well. I was kind of shaky on my part (I forgot to mention - we sang the national anthem), but mostly, we were fine. I was with Abi ("it's short for Abigail"), Krystal (swimmer; I met her last year at a swim meet from my best friend on the swim team), Ali (I met her today) and Steven (knew him since he was in seventh grade, but he didn't remember me; he's one of my band geeks). So I basically met two new people (Abi & Ali), and got reaquainted with two others (Krystal & Steven). Honestly, at first, I judged Ali. I saw her in the room before we broke into quintets, and I.. judged her. I was so cruel. But when I finally got to know her, she became so sweet and I was so surprised. There I go again, judging someone and then soon finding out that they're probably the sweetest person present. Oh yes. I was in a completely junior group (asides from myself, of course), so it was nice to work with mature voices. When we went up to actually do the audition, we had to say if we were in band, orchestra, had any conflicts with fourth, fifth, or sixth period, or if we were taking private voice lessons. I said I was in orchestra, but would be in marching band next year and maybe jazz band too. Steven, who is currently in jazz band and plays trombone (and is AMAZING), turned to me and said, "Jazz band? ...What do you play?" I proudly replied, "I play the violin." He looked at me strangely for a second, then smiled broadly and answered, "Jazz violin, huh? That's really cool." Quite frankly, he made me feel really special. I think this gives me the grounds to scream and say "HI STEVEN!" from across campus, right? I do that to Trumpet Max. Yes, I do call him Trumpet Max because I don't know his last name and when I first found out his name was Max (I had seen him playing trumpet in Jazz Band performances before), I quickly said, "oh, Trumpet Max?" aloud. I guess it kind of stuck in my head. Trumpet Max is always really nice to me, and smiles and replies, "Hi!" to my "Hi Max!"

Band is amazing, isn't it? So many connections in more ways you thought possible. Alas alack. At least this past year.

Fruit calls. Strawberries, specifically.

No comments: