Monday, April 7, 2008

Chamber and Jazz Band Auditions, Oh My!

Alrighty. After school today, my friend and I started driving school. Eight students plus the instructor. If you ask me, it was two and a half hours of a waste of my life. Basically we just read the handbook, and when we finally took a quiz on what we had just read, these two girls spent 45 minutes, totally analyzing each question. And they were matching! Quite frankly, they drove me crazy. The instructor's pretty cool though.

To Kill a Mockingbird is going well. I'm in love with that book, but have to restrain myself from reading the entire book in one night. If I do that, I'll just get ahead and then it will be hard to pull myself back to the speed of the class. I do regret not taking Honors again this year. Last year was really hard, but this year wasn't supposed to be as difficult if I continued with Honors. To the incessant nagging of my parents, I finally succumbed, and took Regulars for an easy A. I have the easy A alright, but it's painful to move so slowly. I'm fairly proficient at English. >=[ Grr. Most likely, I'll be taking Honors English and Honors Pre-Calculus next year anyways, plus AP French, so I think that'll be decent. The only downside is that I have to take US History over the summer in order to fit Orchestra, Marching Band, and Chamber Choir into my schedule with just one extra class to be taken at 7 AM (Marching Band!) every morning except for Wednesdays. Besides, I'll have plenty of Marching Band trips to keep me occupied along with my knitting. As rumor has it, our Marching Band has been invited to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (and we haven't declined), and possibly the Rose Bowl within the next two years. Yay!

To clear this up: I'm not currently in band. I just really like band. They're amazing. You know? And if I don't make Chamber Choir, I'll audition for Jazz Band - jazz violinist! Yeah! My chamber audition's on Wednesday, April 21 after school. The first Wednesday without the acursed driving school. Jazz Band / Wind Ensemble auditions are in early May. I'm nervous for Chamber because I will be competing against singers who have had years of personal training but can't read music. Reading music is really the only advantage I have, besides having an above average voice I suppose. But it's a good thing that I'm not totally depending on choir to make it through life. Band, yes. Orchestra, same deal. Choir, not so important to me. I will be thrilled if I make it, but if not, I don't want to be in Women's Ensemble. First: I like guys. Tenors and basses sound amazing. Second: I want to be in a group consisting of absolutely excellent musicians. The cream of the crop. And I guess third: Women's Ensemble dresses are hideously ugly. But I will be crushed if I don't make Chamber Choir and then don't make Jazz Band. That would just be... pathetic.

No comments: