Saturday, April 26, 2008

Alameda County Fair

The fair is coming up! This will be my first time entering any of my projects into any kind of competition. I looked at the items at the fair last year, which sparked my interest and fueled my crochet passion throughout the rest of the summer.

These are the projects I have chosen to enter, plus a green afghan I've labeled "Fabala".

From left to right: Snow White, Fancy Fans Stole (blue, in the bag), Forrest Wrist Warmers, AVocation Scarf, Flammable, and Percy Plaid.

I really wanted to enter the Foothill Scarf, but realized that I had worn it too much (visibly worn projects will be disqualified). I've never worn the AV scarf, so I figured that it would be the better bet. Plus, more people attended Amador, so it might look favorably upon the judges. I would have entered both, but I have already entered the crochet Percy Plaid scarf, and there is a limit of only two entries per class.

I probably should have mentioned this earlier: I'm entering everything under the Adult section. I could have gone under Youth, as I am not yet eighteen, but I have been crocheting as long as I can remember (and frankly, I think I'm pretty good), so it's not really fair that I join Youth. Plus, there is only one division for Needlework and one class for all knit and crochet items for Youth, whereas in Adult, there is a different division for all the types of crocheted garments and items, and separate ones for knitted garments and items. There are six to eight classes within those divisions, so it's way broader. And not to mention the prize incentives. For Youth, one pays $1 per item submitted. First place is $1.50. Yes, one dollar and fifty cents. So if I won first place for everything I entered, I would gain $3.50 (I would really get $10.50, but $7 pays for the cost of submission). For Adult, on the other hand, one pays $1.50 per item submitted. First place is (usually around) $10. Second is $7 and third is $5. Not too shabby. Granted, I will be competing against people at least double my age, maybe even triple. But as I scoped out the competition last year, I didn't think there was much to worry about.

Updated to include:

So I was looking through Michaela's former posts at Dollar Knits, and found this thing that tests the reading level of your blog. Check this out:

blog readability test

Isn't that awesome? I feel so smart because Junior High was around two years ago or so.

I want to make Saartje's Bootees so badly! They're absolutely adorable, and they would be perfect for the fair. Not to mention that some of our friends at church have a recent addition to their family (a baby girl!), and I would love to make Jannell some booties.

I'm in the middle of uploading the Snow White pattern to Ravelry. I'll publish a link to it later.

No comments: