Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Neglect & Progress

I've been neglecting this poor blog. Unintentionally, of course. There's been so much going on: hanging out with my aunt from the 3rd - 5th (the fair, the chili contest at the park in Mountain View, etc.), hanging out with Mom's friends she hasn't seen for ten years, and going crazy with new books. We went to Borders on Saturday, where I bought The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I just finished it today at around 2. I have to say that it was very difficult to put it down, especially to study, and honestly, obsessively reading the book caused my B- on a quiz this morning (thankfully, though, it's my lowest score [others were A+'s :) ] so this one will be dropped and consequently won't affect my grade). At Borders, I also bought The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, and Anthem by Ayn Rand. Then, on Sunday, my mom reconnected with some of her old friends from work at the Cheesecake Factory in Palo Alto (10 years had passed since they had last seen each other). Then we went shopping (still in the group) at the Stanford Center, meeting up at Neiman Marcus at first, then realized that we couldn't afford anything there. We moved on to Bloomingdale's, then Macy's, but didn't end up buying anything. Then Mom realized she had to go to Santana Row in Santa Clara to return some things. After the return, we wandered into the Borders there, where I (happily) purchased the first installment in the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, Left Behind. I had read the first part of it after being loaned the book from a friend of mine, but soon gave it back feeling guilty of separating him from his beloved book.

Class is boring as ever, but almost over. Just seven days of it left, then it's over and done with. Then, after one week to chill, I get shipped off to band camp! More specifically, La Honda, located in the forresty mountains off of Highway 1. Then two weeks right after that, when I should be going to school band camp, but since my parents forbid me from taking part in Marching Band next year, I don't have to go to school band camp. But I'm going anyway on the first and last days just to watch (and hopefully some more in between) with a friend who was in Marching Band both last year and the year before, but couldn't due to his obsessing over AP classes (he's taking a crazy SIX!).

Ah yes. I'm going to make knee socks! I've finally decided that this is what I really want to make. Also, I want to make sure my first socks are special, so that's why I'm taking the trouble to make them go all the way up to just below my knees (+ extra ribbing). Inspired by these, I'll be following this pattern using this yarn (Lion Brand's [New!] Sock-Ease in Lemon Drop). I'm so excited. Now I just have to get the yarn. And the needles. And the measurements. :) I can't wait until I actually start!


Updated at 8:08pm to include:

I want to call this "Progress" because I finally am making progress on this scarf (simply adore the yarn, which is from my trip to San Francisco over Spring Break '08).



I absolutely adore this stitch (Woven Transverse Herringbone from Barbara G. Walker's A Treasury of Knitting Patterns), though I don't knit evenly enough for the scarf not to be a little ripply. Looks like this will be my first project I actually take the time to block.

The Final Word:
+ "Wow. It's huge. Is it a blanket?" -Fellow CalTrain rider

No comments: