Thursday, July 31, 2008

Camp & ...Christmas?

Two days left until camp! I just have to make sure my yarn is delivered before I leave on Saturday morning. I plan on casting on at camp for the Ravelympics (Afghan Marathon!) next Friday evening when the opening ceremony is on TV at home. ..Though I won't be watching it.

But I digress.

I have found the perfect Christmas gift for all of my friends. Scarves, hats, etc. are costly and time-consuming to make (especially for over 25 people not including family - yikes!). I thought I was going to make coin purses, but I decided against it. I have guy friends too, and I'm not sure my hardcore guitarist guy friend would particularly enjoy a small feminine coin purse. So I made my way over to Lion Brand, where I saw a link for Amigurumi toys! My mind was made up. These are the things I'm possibly going to make for people on my list (I'll probably condense the list more later):

+ Berry-Topped Cake
+ Hi-Life Cupcake
+ Love Birds (matching ones for a couple)
+ Frosted Doughnut
+ Little Lamb
+ Turtle
+ Cat
+ Penguin
+ Lion
+ Guy
+ Gnome (one of my personal favorites)
+ Pig
+ Bear
+ Alien
+ Elephant
+ Octopus
+ Panda
+ Snowman
+ Holiday Penguin
+ Best Bunny

They're cute, simple, and though not very practical, they're sure to touch the receivers' hearts.

If you are a knitter, crocheter, seamstress, or anyone else who makes all holiday gifts, then this whole "Christmas in July" planning thing is nothing new. However, for my fellow classmates, this is what we do. We plan ahead.

Off to go pack for camp.

The Final Word:
+ "We're halfway there, livin' on a prayer." Livin' on a Prayer, Bon Jovi


Updated at 3:55 to include:

I just made my list of people I need to give gifts to this holiday season. I'm currently at an astounding 58, and I still haven't counted family yet. I have no idea how I'm going to swing this. 58 gifts! Pure insanity. Maybe I'll just make around 30 bears and pigs, and then make the rest of them specialized to fit the recipient.

Yes, 58 is not a final number. Later on during the year, I'll probably look back at the list and delete about a dozen or so and add another dozen, or maybe I'll end up deleting more than I add. 58 is simply an estimate, but still - that's almost 60 toys I have to make! I am overwhelmed. I don't know how I'll ever get them done.

One of my favorite quotes, from the Andy Griffith Show, Opie's Charity:

Andy: I’s a readin’ here jus’ the other day where’s there’s somethin’ like four hundred needy boys in this county alone, or one and a half boys per square mile.

Opie: There is?

Andy: There sho’ is.

Opie: I never seen one, Pa.

Andy: Never seen one what?

Opie: A half boy.

Andy: Well, it’s not really a half a boy, it’s a ratio.

Opie: Horatio who?

Andy: Not Horatio – a ratio. It’s mathematics. ‘Rithmetic. Look, now, Opie. Just fergit that part of it. Fergit the part about the half a boy.

Opie: It’s purty hard to fergit a thing like that, Pa.

Andy: Well, try!

Opie: Poor Horatio.

No comments: